Monday, September 10, 2012

The Wingsuit Game

It wasn't long before our first day, and we still only had one game idea for Capstone. Dissatisfied, Bryan quickly whipped up a new design document for a wingsuit game. It's basically a flight simulation game using the Razer Hydra. There would be a specific track the player would have to follow. I think the default mode would be time trial. We were also thinking about a networked racing mode.

As a concept artist, I was having a lot of trouble with this one. A wingsuit is so very, very boring to look at.




Those bottom ones are a little more interesting, but I mean come on! Where's the personality? Mageball was much easier to concept. I had to do quite a bit of practice drawings before I came up with something I even liked a little. 


I call this drawing "If I Had A Wingsuit, What Would It Look Like?" The answer was apparently: yellow bunnies. Bryan seemed alright with this one. The one that came before looked like Assassin's Creed hero, Ezio Auditore, in a wingsuit. It was a miserable piece of work.

I also did a bit of painting for practice. Landscapes are not even a little easy, as I learned in oil painting class a year ago.


This, too, is pretty not good. I just wanted to get a feel for painting mountains, really. So I probably shouldn't show you this.


This is (what might be) a more accurate depiction of what the game would look like. The flags, by the way, are to indicate the path the player should take. We were thinking of also going in the traditional direction of rings that you have to fly through.

I LOVE Spyro  





Bryan also came up with another iteration of the game, which includes secret agents and wingsuit combat.

Design QA is tomorrow so we'll see how everything goes over.

(QA is to make sure an audience would actually respond positively to our game, and to see if the game works.)

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment